Forums > Australia > So I am moving to Australia...

View next topic
View previous topic
Pichi
Atheist
Pichi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Landing in the Gold Coast & have a one year visa! Where should I go visit / stay?!
Wally2109
Atheist
Wally2109

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Pichi wrote:
Landing in the Gold Coast & have a one year visa! Where should I go visit / stay?!

Welcome to Australia. Hope you have a great time while you are here.

Where to start...?

Beaches, bush walking, wineries (long lunch options), craft breweries, excellent pubs and restaurants... lots of this stuff all over the country.

I haven't spent much time in Queensland so don't really have any specific Gold Coast suggestions. Except the theme parks: Sea world, Movie World, somesuch other world etc.
Any other suggestions I could make wouldn't be any better than googling "gold coast what to do" happy hopefully some locals will give you some real local recommendations.

I guess a lot of the choices will depend on how cashed up you are. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about how cheap is was to visit Australia so I guess the costs here will seem just like normal, or crazy expensive depending on where you just come from.

If you like the natural world there is unique environments scattered all of the country: The Flinders Ranges in SA, rain forest in Queensland... (I'll get lazy and stop this list here)

Living in South Australia most of my suggestions would be for this part of the world (I guess it's just a 2000 km drive from the Gold Coast). If you are heading this way I will make some local suggestions.

If you like Arts and "culture" the Adelaide Fringe (generally awesome) and the more staid, expensive Adelaide Festival (mostly yawn (except maybe WOMAD)) are a few weeks away. Melbourne is often flagged as the culture capital of Australia (whatever that means).

If you want to really experience a hot Australian summer I would recommend heading to Perth or Adelaide over the next month or two, maybe you will get some wonderful 40+ degrees days to swelter through happy

If you like watching sport go to an Aussie Rules and a Rugby League game while you're here, or the V8 Supercars if motor sport is your thing.
Viola
I'm a GodsGirl
Viola

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know much about Queensland, having only been to Brisbane twice, and never to the Gold Coast, but judging on your profile (and @Without's descriptions, which I'm sure he'll elaborate on), you'd probably prefer to spend most of your time elsewhere.

My experience of Brisbane was very limited to West End and South Brisbane, centred around the galleries and museums and the more (sub)culturey side of things - but again, I'll leave that to @Without's expertise.

I think you'd have a great time here in Melbourne with @Liesl, @Dante, @Sphynx (who I've not met yet! Hi!) and myself. It's known as Australia's "hipster capital", but is pretty decent for live music, good food, not feeling totally judged if your aesthetic is in anyway unusual, interesting mix of architecture, catching trams almost everywhere, a lot of art galleries, and a ridiculous number of tiny themed bars. The beaches here are fairly average - but a tour down the Great Ocean Road is beautiful. Plus, I'd be happy to hang out and show you around - I give @Liesl as my reference, as I did this with her when she first came to Australia.

You should absolutely go to Perth and make @Gypsy show you around. That woman knows everything that's going on in Perth, and she's incredible fun. Plus, the beaches in Perth are some of the best in Australia - even the popular ones, but they just increase in beauty the further you are from the cities. Broome is also beautiful, and up in the top of the country, where it's hot and humid.

Adelaide, i have no idea. I'll hand you over to @Lillie-Rose for that!

I've not been to Sydney, but from all accounts, it's probably not my thing. It's the big, shiny city - but there are as many who love it as hate it, but they've got weird licensing laws at the moment affecting their nightlife.

I've also never been to Tasmania, but I will be going this year sometime - in the middle of the year, there's an amazing festival called Dark Mofo.

I would totally recommend doing some kind of trip to the NT, just to see the natural beauty there. (Same goes for the upper half of WA.) Again, I've never been, but I'd like to!

Feel free to ask any questions! <3
Without
Agnostic
Without

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I lived within two hours of the Gold Coast for a decade. Two key points for a Scot to remember: (1) it rains a lot, but it's warm rain; (2) it's over 20 degrees about 300 days a year, the other 65 days a year it's 15 degrees.

Here's my take:

The Gold Coast is good for overpaying for everything and being surrounded by people who look and act like the Beckhams, but who have less money and style. (Also, while the Gold Coast is famous for beaches, they're actually very average by Australian standards, so don't feel you have to go just for those.) I avoid it at all costs.

If you want a good beach with fewer dickheads and is more laid back than the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast is actually pretty nice. @rebel would have better advice for specifics.

Byron Bay has hippies (a lot of hippies), a lot of backpacking European tourists, good beaches, humpback whales and pretty decent food. Literally every third person is a white dude/girl with dreadlocks and nobody has shoes. Near Byron Bay are some fantastic national parks. I enthusiastically recommend you check out Nightcap National Park and Wollumbin. Nightcap is a temperate rainforest with waterfalls and swimming holes. (Temperate rainforest = no crocodiles.)
Nightcap looks like this:

While the town of Nimbin is frequented by tourists because it's basically the marijuana capital of the southern hemisphere it's mostly just full of people with drug psychosis, UFO conspiracies, cult members and a shitload of heroin. I hate the place.

Apart from that, there's Brisbane, which I rate as a great place. It has plenty of attractions for tourists, but it's harder to really get to the heart of the place because the underground there has a really secretive culture thanks to decades of right-wing oppression. If you're planning to stay and work a while in the region, Brisbane is where I'd do it. West End and the Valley are the two best places to be. (Don't call it "the West End" or "Fortitude Valley" or everyone will laugh at you. It's "West End" and "the Valley".) That's where most of the nightlife is located.

Outside that area, my brief reviews of elsewhere:
* Sydney - fine if generic. Doesn't really do anything well, isn't really bad at anything either. Extremely expensive to live there, but if you do the Newtown area is the best place in my experience. In the greater region, Wollongong is actually pretty nice place to live with secretly good outdoors (beaches, parks, etc) and also a decent nightlife.

* Melbourne - fine, if overrated. Also quite expensive. It's good at Big Ticket cultural events but the local nightlife is really up itself and not as great as it thinks. It is really easy to live here, though, with just about everything you need. decent natural surroundings and awesome beaches (like international surfing level) withing a few hours drive. Certainly the easiest place to live if you're settling down for a bit.

* Adelaide - fine, if slow. Nice place, really, but it has a (deserved) reputation as being boring. A lot of churches. A lot. Not as conservative as that would indicate, but I lived there a year and don't remember a single thing happening that entire time. I think maybe someone backed their car into someone else's and it made the news.

* Tasmania - dark and cold, used to be a home to cannibals. Never been there, though given that description I probably should.

* Perth/WA - it's so far away I'm not entirely sure the place actually exists. It's further from Melbourne to Perth than it is from Istanbul to London. Fuck that.

* Western Victoria/NSW/Queensland - the entire central-to-western part of these states (so about the same amount of land as western Europe) looks like this:
Sphynx
Atheist
Sphynx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi @pichi ! WELCOME TO AUS! So first of all we are a pretty great country, QLD is just chock full of amazing beaches and gorgeous rainforest!

if you ever come down to melbourne, hit me up, i would LOVE TO HANG. we can go down the peninsula and sit in hot springs and stuffff <3

I'm a GodsGirl
Lua

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Holy shit @pichi !! more GGs in Australia is a blessing! i am also in Perth/ southern WA. There are sooo many amazing scenic places in Aus and im not uncrossing my fingers till you tour all states :p
Pichi
Atheist
Pichi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Omg you guys are the best <3
I'm just away to go to bed (I am an old lady) but will have a good read over tomorrow <3
Ahh you have all warmed my wee heart !!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic