Forums > Politics & Worldview > What kind of President will Trump be?

View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Trump will most closely resemble:

America's Gerald Ford - make a laughing stock of the Oval Office, fumble everything, make minimal impact, lose the next election in record time, disappear into obscurity.
10%
10% [ 1 ]
America's Richard Nixon - be incredibly unpopular, get elected anyway, deeply irritate the Republican party, get caught in a scandal, live in infamy forever.
0%
0% [ 0 ]
Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - say a lot of crazy shit, offend everyone, be bad for prisoners, women and freedom of speech, but be largely ineffective.
10%
10% [ 1 ]
Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte - do a lot of crazy shit, order extrajudical killings in the thousands, drive the country into dictatorship.
10%
10% [ 1 ]
Turkey's Tayyip Erdogan - become a megalomaniac, imprison all the journalists, blame everything on conspiracy, drive the country into recession with neo-liberalism.
10%
10% [ 1 ]
Russia's Vladimir Putin - rise to czar-like status, place all the wealth in the hands of a few dozen cronies, start local wars that never end, antagonise everyone.
0%
0% [ 0 ]
America's George W Bush - win an election actually lost, tank the economy, start a war with no end, destabilise an entire geopolitical region with decades of disasterous consequences.
20%
20% [ 2 ]
Italy's Benito Mussolini - get elected, install fascist autarky, get overthrown for incompetence, get put back on throne as puppet by foreign governments, die by firing squad.
40%
40% [ 4 ]
Hitler.
0%
0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10


Author Message
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Image

So... who's it going to be?
View user's profile
Annthonyklaz
Agnostic


Joined: 02 May 2016
Posts: 276

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Honestly I think people over exaggerate the power Trump has as a president, acting like America and it's government is going to fall apart because of one man, this is the same country whose president was assassinated and it still ran like nothing happened He's most likely isn't going to do much just like Obama, but with all the outrage and protesting going on these past couple of days, I'm surprised dude hasn't been impeached yet and he literally just became president.

At the end of the day though, people should be more focused on they local government, how come we never see people protesting like this about who they next mayor gone be!? They affect you directly and the city you live in.

I'm not with Trump, I could care less about his existence honestly, but I don't have this hatred for him like he just killed my family with his barehands.
View user's profile
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Local government has a greater affect on the local person because the policy of successive Presidents has leaned that way.

Most Presidents haven't pushed for federal government to override state and local laws, the trend over the last fifty years (or more) has been to move away from centralised governance. This is why smoking pot, having abortions, gay marriage etc. is legal in some states and not others - because the federal executive ceded that control to the states. Similar to their being 'dry' counties in the US - the federal and state ceded control of prohibition to local levels.

Trump has explicitly said he would rather the federal government retake control of areas that have long been ceded to state and local power over the last decades. Local laws can't override state or federal laws, but state laws and federal laws can override local ones. Local economies are dependent upon federal trade laws, federal and state taxes, and mostly federal and state funding.

That means local and state governments will be forced to follow federal law, or, at the least, be powerless to stop them.

So that means he has the both the power, and the intention to use it, to radically change the way the Average American deals with daily politics.

For example, there's not much stopping Trump using the National Guard to enforce his whacky racial profiling and identity card scheme, meaning it could be a reality for military personnel to be arresting people for not carrying papers and being housed in federal prison. He's already proposed the law, and he has the power to do it, and there's not much of anything can stop it.

There's also not a whole lot stopping him from passing vaguely worded federal laws on journalist integrity, allowing him to silence his critics in the press. He's already had his Press Secretary baldly lie about instantly falsifiable things (the size of the crowds at inauguration) and Trump has threatened the press for "lying" about it.

This level of policing of the press is unprecedented in living memory (and, as far as I know, in US history). It's not an exaggeration to say that's dictator behaviour. Syria's Assad, Egypt's Mubarak and Lybia's Gaddafi did it all the time, and Turkey's Erdogan uses it nearly daily and has imprisoned more journalists than any other leader in the world.

So that's reason #1 why people are protesting so much.

Reason #2 is that the President controls foreign policy, and the US armed forces, and while Congress is assured checks and balances via the Constitution, the Bush/Cheaney administration successfully side-stepped those checks in the so-called War On Terror. (Multiple times. To the extent that those checks are clearly not worth the paper they're written on.)

Trump has already initiated trade disputes, diplomatic stouches and military stances that have directly affected how other nations are approaching the US and he hasn't even moved in to the Whitehouse yet. He's proposed ending trade relations with NAFTA (Mexico and Canada), the South Pacific (TPP), has explicitly said that he has no qualms about ending NATO, and has directly challenged the One China policy and is aggressively talking about opening the South China Sea.

So, essentially told the world America doesn't need military or trade alliances with anyone other than Russia and Taiwan and isn't afraid to go to war against China.

There are already intelligence experts publishing papers on how Trump is pushing the United States to war with China. That's not a war in China. A Sino-American conflict will actually happen in both American and China. If a war starts between both those countries, US casualties in the US will result, and they won't be in the order of thousands.

So that's two reasons why people are protesting so much. The list will get longer as the days go by - the only question is how bad is it going to get? Hence the poll.
View user's profile
Annthonyklaz
Agnostic


Joined: 02 May 2016
Posts: 276

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Without wrote:
Local government has a greater affect on the local person because the policy of successive Presidents has leaned that way.

Most Presidents haven't pushed for federal government to override state and local laws, the trend over the last fifty years (or more) has been to move away from centralised governance. This is why smoking pot, having abortions, gay marriage etc. is legal in some states and not others - because the federal executive ceded that control to the states. Similar to their being 'dry' counties in the US - the federal and state ceded control of prohibition to local levels.

Trump has explicitly said he would rather the federal government retake control of areas that have long been ceded to state and local power over the last decades. Local laws can't override state or federal laws, but state laws and federal laws can override local ones. Local economies are dependent upon federal trade laws, federal and state taxes, and mostly federal and state funding.

That means local and state governments will be forced to follow federal law, or, at the least, be powerless to stop them.

So that means he has the both the power, and the intention to use it, to radically change the way the Average American deals with daily politics.

For example, there's not much stopping Trump using the National Guard to enforce his whacky racial profiling and identity card scheme, meaning it could be a reality for military personnel to be arresting people for not carrying papers and being housed in federal prison. He's already proposed the law, and he has the power to do it, and there's not much of anything can stop it.

There's also not a whole lot stopping him from passing vaguely worded federal laws on journalist integrity, allowing him to silence his critics in the press. He's already had his Press Secretary baldly lie about instantly falsifiable things (the size of the crowds at inauguration) and Trump has threatened the press for "lying" about it.

This level of policing of the press is unprecedented in living memory (and, as far as I know, in US history). It's not an exaggeration to say that's dictator behaviour. Syria's Assad, Egypt's Mubarak and Lybia's Gaddafi did it all the time, and Turkey's Erdogan uses it nearly daily and has imprisoned more journalists than any other leader in the world.

So that's reason #1 why people are protesting so much.

Reason #2 is that the President controls foreign policy, and the US armed forces, and while Congress is assured checks and balances via the Constitution, the Bush/Cheaney administration successfully side-stepped those checks in the so-called War On Terror. (Multiple times. To the extent that those checks are clearly not worth the paper they're written on.)

Trump has already initiated trade disputes, diplomatic stouches and military stances that have directly affected how other nations are approaching the US and he hasn't even moved in to the Whitehouse yet. He's proposed ending trade relations with NAFTA (Mexico and Canada), the South Pacific (TPP), has explicitly said that he has no qualms about ending NATO, and has directly challenged the One China policy and is aggressively talking about opening the South China Sea.

So, essentially told the world America doesn't need military or trade alliances with anyone other than Russia and Taiwan and isn't afraid to go to war against China.

There are already intelligence experts publishing papers on how Trump is pushing the United States to war with China. That's not a war in China. A Sino-American conflict will actually happen in both American and China. If a war starts between both those countries, US casualties in the US will result, and they won't be in the order of thousands.

So that's two reasons why people are protesting so much. The list will get longer as the days go by - the only question is how bad is it going to get? Hence the poll.


I picked the 1st one, he's a joke and will always be one, his run will end up like Arnold's schwarzenegger run as the governor of California, forgotten and thrown away into obscurity...hopefully.
View user's profile
SamSparkle
Atheist
SamSparkle

Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

#3 - Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad - say a lot of crazy shit, offend everyone, be bad for prisoners, women and freedom of speech, but be largely ineffective.

But I may be wrong.. as I was in the beginning thinking that our american neighbors weren't crazy enough to put him into office.
View user's profile
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Still no votes for Hitler? This is looking very moderate and reasonable. I demand more hysteria.
View user's profile
Faintofmatts
Atheist
Faintofmatts

Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Annthonyklaz wrote:
Honestly I think people over exaggerate the power Trump has as a president, acting like America and it's government is going to fall apart because of one man, this is the same country whose president was assassinated and it still ran like nothing happened He's most likely isn't going to do much just like Obama, but with all the outrage and protesting going on these past couple of days, I'm surprised dude hasn't been impeached yet and he literally just became president.

At the end of the day though, people should be more focused on they local government, how come we never see people protesting like this about who they next mayor gone be!? They affect you directly and the city you live in.

I'm not with Trump, I could care less about his existence honestly, but I don't have this hatred for him like he just killed my family with his barehands.


The power Trump specifically has isn't the issue though. It's the effect those he's installing in various positions of power that is (or should be at least) the real concern.

The REINS act passing the house should be front page news every day because of the disastrous consequences it can have but people and media are all too busy debunking his stupid fucking tweets.

People saying he'll be a joke of a president and not taking his administration seriously are the same as people taking his candidacy as a joke right up until election night.
View user's profile
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Faintofmatts wrote:
Annthonyklaz wrote:
Honestly I think people over exaggerate the power Trump has as a president, acting like America and it's government is going to fall apart because of one man, this is the same country whose president was assassinated and it still ran like nothing happened He's most likely isn't going to do much just like Obama, but with all the outrage and protesting going on these past couple of days, I'm surprised dude hasn't been impeached yet and he literally just became president.

At the end of the day though, people should be more focused on they local government, how come we never see people protesting like this about who they next mayor gone be!? They affect you directly and the city you live in.

I'm not with Trump, I could care less about his existence honestly, but I don't have this hatred for him like he just killed my family with his barehands.


The power Trump specifically has isn't the issue though. It's the effect those he's installing in various positions of power that is (or should be at least) the real concern.

The REINS act passing the house should be front page news every day because of the disastrous consequences it can have but people and media are all too busy debunking his stupid fucking tweets.

People saying he'll be a joke of a president and not taking his administration seriously are the same as people taking his candidacy as a joke right up until election night.


Touche. Especially this part: people and media are all too busy debunking his stupid fucking tweets.

The great irony of the Information Age is that with the unprecedented access to information both journalists and the public got lazier rather than more empowered.

A constant feed of easily-disseminated irrelevant bullshit has lead people to believe that politics consists of irrelevant bullshit and requires a irrelevant, bullshit response.

Meanwhile one hand is performing the shadowplay of Trump The Idiot Tweeter, the other one is moving every piece on the field faster than any President before him, and it's an ever more looming disaster.

Obviously, there's a lot to cover in history class in school, but Jesus, we'd be a lot better off if there was a unit called "How to identify a potential despot" rather than just looking at photos of Iwo Jima, Gallipoli or the Somme, etc and thinking that those events are the real lessons to be learned from the twentieth century.
View user's profile
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here's a great facepalming contradictory quote from this article:

"We're not going to have those kinds of highly ideological totalitarian dictatorships in the 21st century....

...Highly advanced democracies are not immune to the populist authoritarian strains that have over taken the newer democracies. We're very arrogant about it but our arrogance is ill founded. We are vulnerable to those same tendencies because we are so confident nothing wrong."

To the lifeboats, people!
View user's profile
Faintofmatts
Atheist
Faintofmatts

Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm familiar enough with the political/legal system in America in a general sense, but I don't know a lot of the intricacies.

So, that being said, now that Trump's appeal has been defeated again in the 9th circuit are there any more intermediate appeals courts he has to appeal to before he can take it to SCOTUS? And, if not, is there some sort of time frame where he has to launch his appeal to SCOTUS? Or can he wait until he has his new judge approved and appointed to avoid a potential deadlock?

It makes me nervous because, while there's no exact precedent, the previous opinion of the SC is that the judiciary should give way to the executive in matters of immigration and national security. Couple that with another conservative stacked SCOTUS full bench and it doesn't fill me with hope that he won't still be successful.
View user's profile
Without
Agnostic
Without

Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 261

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, by what I think is a reasonable assessment he seems to have hit Erdogan with unexpected speeds and seems to be pushing the needle toward Putin already.

I've been playing this game for a long, long time* and I didn't see this speedy ascension coming.


* - Hell, I remember the Highway Of Death courtesy of King George I, the Wag The Dog scandal of Hillbilly Clinton the disappearing Weapons of Mass Destruction of King George II, and the totally unlawful and largely fictionalised murder of a foreign national in a third country from Barry O. What a cornucopia of bullshit Presidencies!
View user's profile
Display posts from previous:      


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum