Forums > Sports > Motorcycles

View next topic
View previous topic
djokibi
Agnostic
djokibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't be the only person here who loves motorcycles. I'll be picking up an 05/06 Kawasaki ZX-6R (all about the 636 engine) in the near future, having sold my other two bikes this year. I love middleweight sportbikes, stunting and drift. I'm also pretty addicted to MotoGP and am excited for the season opener next month in Qatar.

This was my last bike, an '87 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane, the bike that killed the Ninja in the late 80's. It went through a huge streetfighter transformation, dropping all the excess fairings and getting a new paint job. I nicknamed it 'Baphomet' and with an old-school Supertrapp exhaust it was LOUD! Alas, my aggressive riding has surpassed it - no fuel injection means it lacking torque and a low ride meant scraping pegs in the corners. On to something faster with more lean!

This was my first bike, which I purchased after completing my riders course a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, it was an '84 Yamaha XS 400 Special. The old bars were warped to hell and the gears were looooong, but it was a good bike to learn on. I nicknamed it 'Smurfette' for obvious reasons.

And this is an '06 636, which I will hopefully be riding very soon. Fuel injection, huge aftermarket catalog, easy to stunt, easy to lean hard in the corners. And it's still cheap as hell to insure and gas.

Bike fans, post up your rides! Let's talk rear sets and throttle mods and SBK.
djokibi
Agnostic
djokibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is, by far, one of my favourite stunt videos to date. Ponomareff's segment in French Stunt Tour (well worth the 1 euro download). Beautifully shot.
Carrot
Atheist
Carrot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nah champ, not the only bike person here. I got my licence when I was 18, and rode across Australia with my mate on a Yamaha V Star
Without
Agnostic
Without

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So little love for the motorcycle thread. Amazing.

I'm onto my sixth motorcycle now, which I'm selling. They are the best thing in in the universe, excepting several other really quite good things.
Without
Agnostic
Without

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@chrisnutt

Here 'tis. I'm the last person to comment, four years ago! Sigh.

So, yeah. Funny you should mention the CB, I was going to make a list of cool bikes I've owned that are good for beginners and a seventies CB was my first bike. I love the older bikes - carbs, kickstarters, bits of metal to bash back into shape, etc.

A brief list of reviews:

CB 250T (1978?) - Overweight, underpoowered, hence a good learner bike. No real issues, other than doesn't like big hills or all day cruising. So should be great in the UK, really!

CBX 650 (1984ish) - Don't. Worst bike I ever owned. A limited-run model (550 or 750 much more popular) with a lot of problems made worse by rapidly advancing age.

CX 500 (1980ish) - Great bike, ugly as shit. A reasonable amount of torque (pulls hard) but middling horsepower (not so high top speed). Handles well with drop bars on it, so-so with the standard. A really durable bike, though as a transverse vee not the easiest thing to work on. Can't kill these things. Rode with a friend who had one, he never put oil in it, we went 100km and it didn't even misfire. I noticed the smoke, checked it out, had literally 10ml of oil in it. CX didn't give a shit, we oiled it and it ran no problems for years after.

XT 250 (1985?) - Didn't own it, but rode it for a bit. Great bike to ride, great handling, 500 has even more power but the 250 is actually pretty decent in that department. If you like the idea of riding a dirt bike through traffic (LANE SPLITTING AT SPEED!), these are ace.

Z750P (1984) - Amazing bike when it went. Often didn't went. Often in the shop getting fixed. Holy fuck it had some acceleration. Broke the ton (100mph) on the test ride, it was over 30yo and had spent five years in the shed. Not a beginner's bike, but man it was fun while it lasted.

CB 250-RS (1984) - These aren't well known, but the engine from a trail bike (an XL250 I think) thrown into a skinny little eighties styled lightweight road frame. I rode this for a year or so when I was at uni, it's s single cylinder, kickstart only, minimalist dream of a bike. Handles pretty well, goes pretty fast for size (see: lightweight), easy to maintain (nothing to them). Only issue for me is they're made for small people. (Added bonus: the frame and mounting bolts for the engine also fit an XL500 engine, meaning you can basically double your torque. That's an illegal modification, though, so be warned...)

WR 125 (2010ish) - Rode one of these around a part of Turkey once. Fucking ace bike for what it is. Amazingly got it up to 90km/h with me and a pillion on it. Went all day with no problems. Handles brilliantly (trail bike, after all). Literally weighs as much as I do. Small folk may find the seat height a challenge, though you could lower the suspension. Looks hideous. Maybe paint it matte black with rust-proof spraycan paint?

CT 110 (any age) - Used on of these for a bit when I lived in a rainforest. Probably the most amazing bike ever made, can be ridden at 90% throttle for 12 hours a day, 365 days a year. Amazing fuel economy. Can carry more than twice it's own weight. Handles like a dream in any terrain. A five year old can handle the mechanics. Cheap as shit to repair. The downside is top speed is 85km/hr, they're tiny, and they accelerate slower than a kid on a skateboard.

Other bikes friends have had good learner times with: Suzuki GS250 (possibly a better option than a CB250 due to more power), Kawasaki Z250, Yamamha XS250 (good luck getting one of these stock these days, became the hipster custom of choice in about 2007).

That's the most of my 'beginner's bikes' memory. Just ask for more details or opinions on anything, I'm full of opinions, especially on motorbikes.
Melissa
I'm a GodsGirl
Melissa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

QUESTION: this has come up with a married friend or two and it's specific to motorcycles.

Two friends are married w/ young kids. Dad has always been on a motorcycle (I can't say I know what kind) for his mode of transportation. When asked if he & wife friend ride together, he responded with, "I would never want her on a motorcycle." (in terms of it being too dangerous...not in a "my woman stays in the kitchen" kinda way. Kinda like..."mother-of-my-kids...don't-want-anything-to-happen-to-her.")

I hear that sentiment more often than not. What are you thoughts on this? I know it's well intended but a bit hypocritical....and pretty backwards in terms of equality of the sexes, etc.
Without
Agnostic
Without

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Melissa wrote:
QUESTION: this has come up with a married friend or two and it's specific to motorcycles.

Two friends are married w/ young kids. Dad has always been on a motorcycle (I can't say I know what kind) for his mode of transportation. When asked if he & wife friend ride together, he responded with, "I would never want her on a motorcycle." (in terms of it being too dangerous...not in a "my woman stays in the kitchen" kinda way. Kinda like..."mother-of-my-kids...don't-want-anything-to-happen-to-her.")

I hear that sentiment more often than not. What are you thoughts on this? I know it's well intended but a bit hypocritical....and pretty backwards in terms of equality of the sexes, etc.

My thoughts are that if one half of a couple does something they deem too dangerous for the other they either think they're better at that thing than the other person could ever be, or that their life is worth less than their partner's.

So, in short, it sounds like he's a fuckwit.
chrisnutt
Atheist
chrisnutt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

@Without wow that is really comprehensive, thanks! Some great looking options in there - the only issue at the moment is that the UK CBT only allows me to ride anything up to a 125 so I think I might as well just spend my next ££ on lessons and a full license, instead of buying small and upgrading.

I love those little postie bikes! But apparently they only existed in Australia and NZ which is a shame.
Without
Agnostic
Without

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

chrisnutt wrote:
@Without wow that is really comprehensive, thanks! Some great looking options in there - the only issue at the moment is that the UK CBT only allows me to ride anything up to a 125 so I think I might as well just spend my next ££ on lessons and a full license, instead of buying small and upgrading.

I love those little postie bikes! But apparently they only existed in Australia and NZ which is a shame.

No problem! I'm bike obsessed.

You could go for a lightweight trailbike, like the WR125 I mentioned above, or the YZ family. Surprisingly good for their size. Honda now only makes the CB as a 125, too. Waaaay too small for me to fit on (I'm 200+ cm tall) so I can't report on quality. Getting a bigger license is also an option, though as a dickhead rider, I strongly recommend starting on something small so you don't kill yourself too early. (A 250 or even a 500 is fairly small.)

The CT-110 was available in Asia for a long time - it's originally a farmer's bike, with a low-geared transmission and a low centre of gravity to carry sheep or whatever up hills and down dales - but there's literally hundreds of thousands of them on the road in Australia because of that postal contract. (A Chinese company makes a drop-in replacement engine for the CT-110 with a manual clutch that is apparently much faster. Doing 100+ km/h on that thing must be terrifying.)

If you do dig the CT-110, the Honda SuperCub is basically a higher-geared city version of the CT-110. They're pretty fucking sweet, in my opinion, and really common.

Customising the SuperCub has become an awesome hobby of a lot of South East Asian teenagers and twenty-somethings. If I was both thirty centimetres and kilograms smaller I'd totally be into it.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic