Forums > World News > Ferguson

View next topic
View previous topic
Kvlt
I'm a GodsGirl
Kvlt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't even know where to start. There's so much to say. So can someone just start talking about it? Great.

Born Again
WithoutZeroZero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A couple of thoughts:

The jury selection to find 'peers' leads juries to consist of the same people on trial, not of the broader community. In a town where 67% are African-American, only 75% of the jury were white. This serves the interests of the defendant, not the community they live in.

I'm really not in to people condemning 'violence' following the grand jury outcome. Someone died - burned cars and stolen televisions don't compare. Violence is when someone's physical or emotional boundaries are violated. When celebrities, talking heads or that fuckwit in the Whitehouse call that reaction violence, they're implying that the security of property ownership is as important as protection against rape, assault and murder. When Obama speaks out against property destruction and not against cops killing black men, he is implicitly saying that property is more important than the lives of those men. And this opinion is widespread, not just from that idiot.

Given that, is it any wonder that the poorer sections of American community, who are people of colour, have a higher rate of murder and assault? If property security is taken more seriously than murder, the propertied will have a higher rate of influence in accessing security, which in turn will protect their property and as a follow on, their personal safety. So when a poor black man gets killed by a cop, no judicial or legislative responses of any meaning occur.

Lucky for the state the poor POC haven't worked out that human life is worth more than property, either, or instead of burning cars and looting stores they might be shooting police officers instead.
Kvlt
I'm a GodsGirl
Kvlt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The protesters aren't the ones doing the burning and looting. It's people from out of the city, using the tragedy as an excuse to commit the crimes, knowing the PoC of Ferguson will be blamed for it.

and look! It's working.

Born Again
WithoutZeroZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I'm not saying opportunistic looting doesn't happen, but looting and burning are part and parcel of rioting. While some rioting happens when the Lakers win the championship or Aston Villa loses the FA Cup, it also happens when something outrageously unjust happens. (I.e., exactly the same situation in LA following the Rodney King case in '92.) It's seems very likely to me that PoCs of Ferguson are doing exactly that.

A protest is a controlled exercise in mass expression. A riot is uncontrolled. Irrespective of how effective either are, both do happen in response to something like this, and it's an unalienable fact of history. Expecting people to react sensibly, legally or consciously is unrealistic given the situation.

Personally, I think the idea that rioting is somehow illegitimate and protesting is legitimate is similar to what I'm talking about above. When the powers that be demonstrate that property is worth more than human life, saying that being teargassed by cops for chanting and holding signs (i.e. protesting) is okay, burning police cars and stores (rioting) is not, just doesn't make sense to me. If people are getting killed these seem like meaningless distinctions, and like I said, at this point the cops are lucky they're only burning cars and stores and not John Q. Law.

A very interesting book on this subject, specifically on delineating between riots, uprising, rebellions and revolutions in reference to the Arab Spring, is The Rebirth of History: Times of Riots and Uprisings by Alain Badiou. I have an ebook of it floating around on my hard drive somewhere if anyone wants a copy. Totally recommended.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic